In this section

Starting a rental

Starting a rental

Last updated: 29 Mar 2021


Traditionally, Homeless Law is called on to assist clients during a residential rental or at the end of a residential rental. However, it is important to note that providing clients with adequate information at the start of a residential rental may help a client to avoid legal problems at a later point.

This section covers three key matters for consideration when a client is moving into new accommodation.

In this section:

  • Is your client a renter, rooming house or caravan park resident, Part 4A site tenant, SDA resident or licensee? It is important to understand which category your client fits into, because different rights and responsibilities are attached to each category.
  • Condition reports: Condition reports are considered to be ‘conclusive evidence’ of the condition of the rented premises when the renter or resident enters into occupation. Renters should be advised to examine the state of the premises against the condition report when moving in. If appropriate, renters should be informed of avenues to challenge condition reports.
  • Utility and service charges: It is important to ascertain whether the rented premises or room is separately metered for the supply and use of electricity, gas and water, as this will determine whether a renter or resident is liable to pay these charges.

Not a lawyer?

Homeless Law in Practice provides resources and tools for Victorian lawyers and advocates. If you’re looking for help, visit Justice Connect.